Sunday, August 9, 2009

How much are my bonds worth?

I have bonds, and I%26#039;m sure that they are matured by now..but I%26#039;m not sure what to do with them!!



I%26#039;m 20 years old and I got them over 15 years ago.



On the bond in the upper right hand corner is a dollar amount. Is that amount what the bond matures to? For example, one of them says %26quot;500%26quot; in the upper left hand corner. Some say %26quot;200%26quot;....after the bond is mature, does it mean that it is worth MORE than 500 or 200? or does is 500 and 200 the most that it will reach?



Also, I do not need to use my bond money for anything right now, so what would one suggest that I do with these bonds? I was thinking about opening a seperate savings account with the Sikorsky Credit Union (a bank around here ... usually having high intrest rates and other benefits for members)..my boyfriend has his money in this bank.



I just turned 20 and I would like to have this money to save until I am ready to do something big like buy a house...



Any advice would be great.



How much are my bonds worth?mortgage lenders





go to www.statereasury.com look under the bons..you need to know what series your bonds are and you will be promted to put in the seriel codes on your bonds and they will tell you as of today what they are worth....bonds today no longer generate interest forever there is a cap of maturity around 20 years that the bond will be worth t he face value on it...it is really not a good investment nowadays..you are better off finding the value taking them to your bank and cashing them in and putting them in something like a mutual fund that will grow much larger over tiem...if you are under 18 your parents will have to take you to the bank to cash them..



How much are my bonds worth? loan



Check out this website:



http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/tool...



I think you should just hold onto them for a rainey day. Just place them in a safe because a savings account may cost you money but if you can find one that doesnt. Go for it.|||Well i%26#039;m going to assume that the bonds you have are Series EE bonds. Hypothetically speaking, if you had recieved these bonds in May of the year 1992, Your $200 bonds are worth about $228 each and your $500 bonds are about $572. I would probably shop around and try to find a great deal on a CD. They usually offer great interest rates compared to savings accounts. Allow the interest to be deposited back into the CD so you get interest on the interest earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment