Sunday, August 9, 2009

If I buy shares of a company on one exchange can I sell them on another?

For Example:



Today 10/12/06 one share of Bank of America is $54.36 on the NYSE



On the Xetra exchange in Germany one share is 42.55 euro and and $53.41 after the exchange rate is applied.



Is there any way to buy 1000 shares of Bank of America on the Xetra in Germany for $53.41 and sell those shares on the NYSE for $54.36 making a profit of $950 on the difference?



If I buy shares of a company on one exchange can I sell them on another?heart rate monitor





As a historic note J P Morgan used to do that particular trick all of the time. He would buy stock on the London exchange and sell it on the NY exchange. And I am sure the hedge funds today take advantage of that trick.



For us lowly peons, it is somewhat impractical.



If I buy shares of a company on one exchange can I sell them on another?

loan



Yes, you can do that. It%26#039;s called market arbitrage. The problem is, that the spread is usually so small that the comissions to buy the stock on one market, and sell on the other are too costly. Plus, you have to find a brokerage house that will trade like that on both markets (I%26#039;m not sure if they even exist). Is one share on the German exchange worth one share on the NYSE? Yes. Is it worth you looking into doing? No, unless you have a lot of money, and even then there are better things you can do with it. I believe there are hedge funds that use this business model, and can use their millions to leverage your $50,000.|||You have discovered the lucrative business known as arbitrage... and yes, some companies specialize in these differences and make millions. I have to wonder about the commission charges for an individual... I%26#039;m sure it will eat into your profits, but I say go for it and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment